Plecnik, Josef, b. Ljubljana, Slovenia (then Laibach), Jan. 23, 1871, d. Ljubljana, Slovenia (then Laibach), Jan. 6, 1957, architect and designer.
Studied under L. Theyer in Graz and 1894-1898 under O. Wagner at the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna; worked in Wagner´s office on the planning of the Vienna city railway; 1900-1911 created his most important works, also designed the interiors (Zacherl building in the 1st district of Vienna, 1903-1905>>);
1911-1920 taught at the trade school in Prague; designed alterations at Prague Castle. His most important religious buildings are in Vienna (Church of the Holy Spirit in the 16th district of Vienna, 1910-1913) and Prague (Church of the Sacred Heart, 1928-1932).
In 1920 P. settled again in Ljubljana; he not only taught at the university there, but also had a decisive influence on the face of the town with his buildings and town-planning decisions and became the founder of modern Slovenian architecture, although his very individualistic style is more influenced by antiquity and the theories of G. (see) Semper and O. Wagner.