Löffler, Bertold, b. Sept. 28, 1874 Ruzodol, Czech Republic (then Nieder-Rosenthal), d. Vienna, March 23, 1960, painter, graphic artist and artisan.
Studied at the Vienna School of Arts and Crafts (Kunstgewerbeschule) under F. Matsch and K. Moser; from 1900 onwards freelance painter and illustrator, in 1906 he and M. Powolny founded the “Wiener Keramik” group. Was also working for the Wiener Werkstaette. From 1909 to 1935 taught at the Vienna School of Arts and Crafts and was O. Kokoschka’s teacher; Founding member of the Österreichischer Werkbund. Tile and ceramic designs, also for architecture projects by J. Hoffmann: Fledermaus (revue theatre), Sanatorium Purkersdorf, Palais Stoclet.