In 1899 Ferdinand Rainer opened the “Café museum” in the perfect place. The café’s ideal location close to the Secession, the Vienna Künstlerhaus, the Academy of Fine Arts, the Vienna State Opera Theater on the Vienna river and the Viennese Music Association, made it into a hot spot for artists and musicians. The architect Adolf Loos was commissioned to design the interior of the café. The architect decided to go against the typical pompous and overly ornate style of the time and decided on a simplistic style which he later referred to in his essay: “Ornament and crime”. Many artists felt comfortable in this modern ambiance. Artists such as Gustav Klimt, Egon Schiele and Oskar Kokoschka were regulars at the Café Museum. Famous authors such as Joseph Roth, Karl Kraus, Georg Trakl, Elias Canetti, Hermann Broch, Robert Musil and Leo Perutz and well known composers such as Alban Berg, Franz Lehar and Oscar Straus frequented the café. Even Adolf Loos himself and his colleague the famous architect Otto Wagner visited the café on a regular basis. Copyright Cafe Museum.