1919-1921 studied at the School for Arts and Crafts (Kunstgewerbeschule) in Vienna under Oscar Strnad, 1922-1930 assistant to Josef Hoffmann, 1935-1959 head of a special course for architecture students.
H.'s teaching and construction projects and his international connections (esp. Italy and France) helped the continuity of the classic Viennese Modern style during the post-war reconstruction-period.
His exhibits (especially the Austrian pavilions at the world fairs in Brussels in 1935 and Paris in 1937) are marked by light, playfully elegant shapes. Works: Confiserie Altmann & Kühne, Vienna 1932 (with J. Hoffmann); Federal Chancellery (reconstruction after war damages), Vienna 1948; office buildings Mahlerstraße 6, Vienna 1949; Espresso Arabia, Vienna 1950; office building Singerstraße/Kärntnerstraße, Vienna 1953; Volksgarten-Tanzcafé, Vienna 1954-1958; Café Prückel, Vienna 1955; Haus Mierka, Salzburg 1957; Historisches Museum der Stadt Wien, 1954-1959.